Thursday 5 March 2015

Trailer Talk: Frozen, Ferrell, and Fragilty

Big Game
Let's start this instalment of Trailer Talk with a bang, as the marketing budget for the Finnish film Big Game gets a huge boost following the surprise popularity of the first trailer. They've put a lot of effort into this one, clearly shown here, and it does look impressive. I expect it to be a small-budgeted film which will gain quite a following.

Far from the Madding Crowd
I was only made aware of this film when the first trailer played before my screening of The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (short response: harmless fun but overlong with too many storylines), and with this second trailer there isn't as much interesting. That said, it is still something to look out for, as both Michael Sheen and Carey Mulligan are strong actors, and this film may be clear evidence of this.

Kill Me Three Times
Not much new here, aside for additional cussing. My attention for it is wavering a little since the first trailer, but we'll see if I eventually see it.

The Cobbler
Well this puts a whole new spin on "a day in their shoes". I was initially expecting it to be a modern retelling of 'The Elves and the Shoemaker', but then it went in a whole other direction. Doesn't look come across as smart or sophisticated, as Adam Sandler tries his hand at smaller comedies. Hooray for the lack of fart jokes, but still rather childish humour.

Insurgent
Bleurgh! I look forward to avoiding this film (look out for a Boycott article about it).

A Little Chaos
Another film I only recently got a glimpse of thanks to Marigold Hotel (no new trailers in front of Focus sadly), it does look very good - perhaps this year's Belle, just with a well-known cast. Alan Rickman appears to be having a lot of fun both in front and behind the camera, and Kate Winslet is rather good as the probable female lead. I don't know much about the film, but I ma interested in seeing it.

Frozen Fever
Yeah it's a short. but as a sequel to the 2013 smash I feel like it should be included. It's a short trailer - as expected for a short - but it clearly sells the product well. Heck, it makes me want to see it a little. Not a lot, just a tiny bit.

Cymbeline
It's a good thing the trailer tells you to keep your head, because I'm sure I would have lost mine in confusion otherwise. I haven't a clue what this is about, or why Ethan Hawke is in it, but I sure as hell know I won't be watching it.

The Lady in the Van
Well that was surprisingly charming. Maggie Smith is clearly having a ball here, and I don't see why audiences wouldn't too, as Lady in the Van looks to be a harmless tale filled with simple but effective jokes. I like what I see here (Unless Marigold has affected my sense of comedy).

Superfast!
Urgh.

A Royal Night Out
Ooo. TWA-nominated actress Sarah Gadon reunites with Belle co-star Emily Watson and one-time child secret agent Bel Powley (who I haven't seen in anything since MI High) playing a royal going on a night out (hence the title, believe it or not). I imagine it's a fictional story, but it does look like an interesting one, with a new spin on those missing persons storylines you often get with frat boy films. It looks good.

Get Hard
I swear every instalment this year of Trailer Talk has had Get Hard in it, and every time I say it looks bad. This is no different. Save your money, people!

Mr Holmes
I like this. It's a new twist on the classic Sherlock Holmes stories, bringing the character to a new area of his life and making use of that, with his fragile memory and tired attitude towards others. McKellen looks great in the role and, despite only being a minute long, leaves enough to be interested in. Reviews have been strong and I'm glad to hear that.

Self/Less
Hmm. I'm all for a career for Ryan Reynolds, but this seems off. Is it a mind swap? A brain transfer? I haven't a clue what's going on here. Performances seem fine, but premise? Big no-no, and this is coming from someone who likes sci-fi.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
The final trailer for this year's biggest film is here, and it's the best one yet. It finally tells audiences the story and why Ultron exists, it shows the great dynamic between the team members with some exquisite direction from Joss Whedon and it just looks amazing. It's reignited my anticipation for the film and boy am I ready to pre-book my tickets. I want it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment