Saturday 27 June 2015

Editorial: The Best of 2015 Thus Far

Now that we're officially at the halfway mark for the year, and with the summer movie season officially in full swing, now seems like a good time to look back at some of the best films seen this year. Unfortunately, I've not seen all that many films compared to the bigger critics out there, and being in the UK means I haven't seen some films like Inside Out which come out later on in the year. But nevertheless, here's my personal top ten...

10. Chappie
Only just edging its way into the top ten is the underrated Blomkamp film, which is by no means a flawless film but certainly an enjoyable one. The visuals are strong, the script is well written, and the namesake character is undeniably likable. It does have a number of issues, as I explained in my review, but I still say it's something worth checking out.

9. Ex Machina
Again, just squeezing its way onto the list, Ex Machina is dark, occasionally gripping and with a tiny cast of greatness. It's a slow film, but a valiant first attempt from newcomer director Alex Garland with both a strong screenplay and visuals. Oh, and that dance scene - comes right out of nowhere and you get lost in it.

8. Jurassic World
The most recent film on this list - and currently one of the highest grossing - Jurassic World never recaptures the magic of its predecessor but does a great job at remastering the franchise. With a great look at what the actual park would be like, brand new dinosaurs and a gripping third act, you get what you pay for with the newest Chris Pratt-featured Jurassic adventure.

7. Shaun the Sheep: The Movie
As one of three animated films I've seen this year, it was of course Aardman who could take the top spot from Disney and Illuminaton Entertainment, as they bring their utterly charming characters to the big screen for a fun-filled 80 minute adventure. Strong animation, great gags, and it never feels like it's wasting its time.

6. Selma
One of the more underrated films of the year, this biopic was something which both surprised and disappointed me. Disappointed by how much I expected from it post-Oscar nomination, but surprised by how much it affected me. Add a standout performance by David Oyelowo and you have yourself one great movie.

5. Birdman or (the Unexpected Virute of Ignorance)
As the first new film I saw this year, this was a good way to kick the year off. It was a strong idea done right with a premise which shouldn't work but did. Good screenplay; superb direction and a greta performance by Keaton. Why so low though? Well, after a bit of an awards upset on my part and all the complants in Hollywood about superheroes, it has made it feel a little sour since.

4. The Theory of Everything
I gave this film a 10/10 rating when I first saw it. Why is it now lower down on the list? Well, while I don't think any less of the film on its overall quality (otherwise it would be at #2), it is a lot harder to rewatch compared to all three of the films above it. It is an incredibly strong film, thanks to the performances by Jones and Redmayne, and a great story to boot - but sadly it's overshadowed by three others when given the chance to revisit.

3. Kingsman: The Secret Service
Church scene. That's all I really need to say on the matter. Oh, and that it's so darn funny. Review will explain a few other things.

2. Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron
Well this is odd - halfway through the year and a Marvel Studios film isn't my number one film of the year. And yet, I've seen it three times and enjoyed it every time. Why? Because it's a film which can balance out both the fun and the heart, and has so many scenes which just make you freeze in glee. That s a good blockbuster, and the critics who say otherwise are inclined to explain themselves further.

1. Whiplash
When I first saw Whiplash, I couldn't believe just how much I loved it. When I bought the DVD recently, I was scared that the novelty would wear off. I was wrong. This is a near-perfect character piece where there is no good guy. There is no bad guy. It messes with your head as you feel bad for yourself when you laugh at J.K. Simmons' retorts. You hate these characters but you can't tear away from them for more than a second - this is the best movie of the year so far. And by the end of it, I feel like it could remain that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment